Friday, May 10, 2013

Built-ins: Part 1

As I mentioned previously, I decided a while back to try to construct some built-ins for the new house. The only problem is that I had no idea how to go about doing that.

Our sister-in-law, Tif, is an interior designer and had some great ideas.  She sent us this sketch, calling for a television stand on the right, a window seat in the middle, and a bookcase outfitted with a faux fireplace mantle on the left. 
A guy who knew what he was doing would probably translate this sketch into a plan with measurements and whatnot, but I'm not that guy. At one point, Erin's dad, Paul, asked if we had come up with any plans. I just sent him the sketch. Probably imagining his granddaughters being trapped under a pile of collapsed plywood covered in saw marks and stray nail holes, he kindly offered to help with the construction.

He and Erin's mother, Karon, came up this past Friday and spent the entire weekend helping us. Erin and Karon did a ton of painting (more on that later), while Paul and I tackled the built-ins.

We loaded up on lumber on Friday night, and got started early Saturday morning. The first order of business was me learning what a "kick space" is. The next order of business was building a frame for the boxes to sit on to create a kick space.


No comments:

Post a Comment