Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Coop: Nest-Shaped Box

Based on the width of the coop, we decided to have three nesting boxes.  The nesting boxes are where the chickens (hopefully) go to lay an egg, which they do roughly 30 hours or so once they reach maturity.  We have 8 chickens, so we figured three boxes would be enough, as they're not going to be laying all at once.  I've read that they will all line up to get into a single favorite box, so I'll be damned if I'm going to make a bunch of unpopular nesting boxes.

We made the doors of the nesting boxes to fit some antique metal ceiling panels Erin found on the Internet.
I had a pajama-clad helper for a few minutes.

 When the moment of truth came, I slid the nesting box unit into the side of the coop, and it fit perfectly, 1/16" on each side.  It was attached with long lag screws to accomodate the weight of some heavy hens.

 Meanwhile, Erin fit the coop floor by cutting notches for the 2x4s passing through it.

 We also put up the sheathing on the sides.  I could (should?) have used housewrap, but I had a bunch of tar paper left over from the roof of the woodshed, so I just used that. 
 Also, judging from this picture, I guess I put the roof on at some point?  It's clear corrugated plastic.




No comments:

Post a Comment